History

 

"New Holland Mennonite Church is situated within a small town in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Within borough limits, the congregation emerged as a unique Mennonite expression in contrast to the surrounding rural Mennonite environment. New Holland Mennonite provides a setting to find God's Spirit at work in the midst of sociological, cultural, and even theological changes."

 

1900-1920: Mennonites moved into town

 

1910: Mennonite meetings began in the New Holland Methodist Episcopal Church building on Sunday evenings

 

1913: Women organized a sewing circle with a new emphasis on concern for the lost, materially and spiritually.

 

1915: Sunday School established on Sunday afternoons.

 

1922: Services begin on Sunday mornings in a newly built church on Roberts Avenue.

 

November 18, 1923: A group of fifty-five people voted unanimously to organize as a congregation and call a minister from among the active participants. Noah N. Sauder received the call as pastor.

 

1934: Mahlon Witmer associate pastor

 

1941-1947: Daniel Sensening associate pastor

 

1958-1977: Frank Shirk pastor

 

1947: James Martin associate pastor

 

1970-1977: Daniel Sensenig associate pastor

 

1974: New larger building was finished on Western Avenue and New Holland Spanish Mennonite Church bought the building on Roberts Avenue.

 

1975: Bob A. Martin associate pastor

 

1980: C. Nevin Miller became the first fulltime paid pastor

 

1981: James Musser, half-time youth pastor

 

1981: A Day Care was started as a ministry of the church. "In an age of broken homes, single parent households, and increasing stress on family life, we believe we have the responsbility as a church to assist families in the care of children."

 

1983-1988: Charles S. Good served as pastor

 

1989-2002: Clyde Kratz served as pastor

 

1990's: A joint yearly worship service and congregational fellowship meal started with New Holland Spanish Mennonite Church.

 

1993: Outdoor Community Worship services followed by a picnic meal began.

 

2000: Congregation begins support of Beryl Forrester in West Africa.

 

2002-2013: Ron and Judy Zook served as pastors

 

2004: The youth groups from New Holland, Groffdale, and Village Chapel merged. (The Spanish Mennonite youth joined a few years later).

 

2009: Jenn and Wade Esbenshade took the youth group from New Holland and other district churches to Guatemala.

 

2014: Dawn Ranck-Hower hired as pastor.

2016: Congregation joined Atlantic Coast Conference: A Conference of Mennonite Church USA.

2019: The Congregation moved from traditional membership to an Annual Membership Covenant. First Covenant Sunday was on February 24, 2019.

2019: A Community Garden was planted.

 

— Excerpts until 1997 taken from "A People on the Way: History of the New Holland Mennonite Church: Seventy-Five Years 1922-1997" by Darvin L. Martin

New Holland Mennonite Church • 18 Western Avenue, New Holland, PA, 17557 • 717/354-0602 • nhmc@frontiernet.net